Monday, November 8, 2010

Well, today was one helluva day. But, I am focusing on the walk on the beach this morning and spending time with Nat and Sarah tonight. Wonderful. Love the beach. Love those two. So much.   Now, the in-between? not so much . . .
So, off I went after a walk on the beach this morning, over the bridge, into St. Augustine, deserted streets, went to change lanes, checked the rear view, and BAM. I didn't see him and he didn't see me. He, being Mr. Ernest J. Corbett, and a nicer gentleman, you will never meet. (Also, he looked kind of like P. Diddy.) Here is what he was driving:
And, yes, I hit him. Here is where:
See the front tire? There.
This is what his front tire did to my little Prius:
and let me tell you, the left side of the fender was on the ground and cracked right thru the middle before Chris got to me (too shaken up to take a picture then.)
Now, meet Chris. He came in his tow truck - so glad I thought to sign up for AAA. Instead of towing me, He got out the duct tape and cable ties and fixed me up. "Ah worked in a junk yard fer gettin' on 8 years and ah kin tell yew that ain't goin nowhere long's ya keep it under 80." He was awesome. When I was thinking motel room, loaner car, what about the dogs, etc., he came thru and made it so I can get home and go to the Toyota Dealer in Homestead.
 So, Mr. Jimenez, the sheriff's deputy? No sense of humor whatsoever but what do you expect? He wrote me two dam tickets, in spite of Mr. Ernest J. Corbett imploring him not to. My first ticket in 25 years. One for improper lane change and one for lapse of insurance. DON'T ASK.
The girls and I are fine and I'm so glad I got to spend time with Nat and Sarah and forget about this whole mess for awhile. Tomorrow?  Home to Key Largo!!! Yeah baby!


4 comments:

  1. I hate those big trucks!!! I am glad you and the girls are ok. How scary that must have been!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's horrible! But glad, like Rita, that everyone is ok. And I guess we can call Chris an exception in the South? But you were, after all, in St. Augustine, which is one of the less than five places I think of as civilized down thar!

    Found my earring!!! In the bottom of my purse :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We here in the Fabulous Florida Keys pride ourselves on being UNcivilized!

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor prius, glad to hear you and the girls are ok.

    ReplyDelete