Monday, December 27, 2010

Sue and I drove up to the Miccosukee Indian Village for their annual arts festival where we met up with Gloria, David, Marilyn and Maryann. I am not naming names here but we got hopelessly lost and it took hours to get there due to someone thinking she knew where she was going. She didn't.  I'm just saying...  Anyhoo, they have world champion dancers from Santa Fe, from Saskatchewan, from all over the U.S. and Canada and they are just fabulous. Here are some pictures for your perusal . . .
These guys were the drummers and singers for the dancers. I was practically deaf by the time I left. They were awesome.
An observation: The women have the most boring dances, can't even move their arms, just get to make their fringe swing, which apparently the men think is something to brag about. Ooooh, buckskin dancers... while the men get the best outfits, the best feathers and the best dances. hmmmmm
I must say though, the obvious pride these people take in their heritage and their desire to share it with others is really inspiring.
Sweet grass braids, white sage (I got a bundle), lavender (G and M bought me some-thanks!), and every herb, bark and berry you could think of and then some. Smelled heavenly.
Unlike the food on offer. Spam and tomato. Really?? The food totally sucked. I had the Indian Taco. Don't ask.
ya think??
And finally, I like to think this gator and the turtle are snuggling up together in the cold Florida weather (20 degrees below normal today, but I'm not going to complain even a little about a high temp of 66 degrees -- I watched the news this morning. Zoiks!)  So, all in all a fun day - in spite of all the driving. Let's not go there again . . .   Sue.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing you are not complaining - we are in the midst of a blizzard with blowing snow and the temp is going to plunge tonight.

    ReplyDelete