Saturday, June 26, 2010

Today was my first stint as a volunteer shuttle driver at the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens.

So, listen to this: I show up a little early, eager to begin my training. The person who is supposed to train me doesn't show up. So, I went looking and found my golf cart, rounded up a key and set out to do my rounds. Luckily, I know how to drive a golf cart. Granted this one is a little longer (like twice as) than I'm used to but it went ok. Well, it did once I found the power switch under the back seat anyway. Who knew?

I got lost the first round but then got my bearings and it was really fun. I can't believe how fast the time went. I had a few "WOAHs" when I backed up a little too far (that long back end, you know), and a few "slow downs" but for the most part it was lots of laughs and I let people know that they were taking their lives in their own hands as I had not a clue what I was doing.  zooooooommmm

I do need to do a little research because I was asked everything from what is that little red and white bush to who gave the most money to the gardens to how many acres, etc. Stuff I guess I would have learned in my training . . .

Anyhoo, must admit I chose this shift so I could have lunch in the cafe - fresh greens from the gardens - but when I came in the building after I parked my cart, they said, OH, we had so many good comments about you from our visitors - Wow!

yay for LizzieAlone

1 comment: