Sunday, June 6, 2010

I spent a day and evening soaking up Edinburgh. It is a huge and old and vibrant city. Everyone is very H&T (and how these women walk in 6-inch heels on the old cobblestones is beyond me.)  I started with a hike up Calton Hill, the  park above Hollyrood. I could not get near Hollyrood because Prince Charles was in residence and law enforcement was everywhere. This is a picture looking a bit east of the north sea and you can see Edinburgh Castle in the far distance. From another aspect, you can see the firth of Forth.
Off I went to the castle, where I signed on with a guide.  This, ladies and gentlemen, is Richard and he was AWESOME! (Plus, looked really good in his kilt.)

So, Edinburgh Castle includes the oldest building in Edinburgh, St. Margaret's Chapel, which was constructed in the 12th century! Richard threw out dates like they were yesterday, oh David's Tower, Robert the Bruce's son was built in the 1370's, and, oh yeah the great hall of James IV opened in 1511. Well, the mind boggles. Nobody really lived here anymore after the mid-1600's when the royals moved to England.  Here are some pictures of the castle:
  This is St. Margaret's. Still beautiful after a few centuries, a bit dark, but what I liked best, is that just beyond it, is a tiny graveyard for the dogs in the service of the royal guards throughout the ages (photo didn't come out, darn it, small plaques to King and Duke and Lad, etc.)
 

OK, I must say this is the slowest connection I've had since arriving across the pond, so forgive me for not being more thorough. The pictures are taking all of my time. 

So, just a few more from my evening in Edinburgh. Had to walk a couple of miles to this Scottish Evening, but it was worth it - and no, I didn't do it in 6-inch heels, so no problem really.
This guy was hilarious. I met him early on and it turned out he was the MC of the evening. (some kind of optical illusion thing going on with my b00b here, I don't know ...)

Here is the piper who piped everyone in to the dinner theatre. He was so funny and I know that because he and I had a "wee dram" towards the end of the show when I had to get out of that hall and found him out in the lounge. . . hard to understand but very dry humor and loves having this gig. He used to be in the military service as a piper and I can't at this moment for the life of me remember his name.

 This is the band leader and the picture is bad because it was dark in there. He was awesome! The MC kept saying, "KNEES" as in put your knees together dude, you're in a kilt! "KNEES". Then they'd all laugh hysterically.  V. cute. They did the traditional worshipping of the haggis - cutting open the stomach, etc. so gross, and served everybody up a wee bit - and it was very funny but must admit, mine went directly into my coffee cup. So, Haggis, Neeps and Tatties. Scottish for gross organ meat, mashed turnips and potatoes. There you have it. Lots of root veggies and left over parts in this national dish and the locals love it. no comment
The dancers were wonderful - there was also a boy and he was great but my picture didn't come out very well. I met him in the lounge along with Gordon - Gordon! That's his name! Turns out he (the dancer) is actually 26, has been doing this review for 10 years and works as a mechanic days. Good for him.
So much more to see in Scotland - Sarah, I will come back and see Sterling, ride the West Highland Line and go to the Isle of Skye some day.

Tomorrow, I'll tell you about the trip across the Irish Sea and staying in the most bombed hotel in the world in Belfast (and no I didn't find that out until the next morning.)

Tha gaol agam ort,

Lizzie Alone

Almost forgot: Flying butts?  Well, they're bats flying around the castle! But do you know what a camel on his hunkers pertains to? (hint: when it comes to the Giant's Causeway) I'll tell you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment