Friday, June 4, 2010

OK, sorry but I lost my %@**&f-ing adaptor - must have left it plugged in somewhere when I unplugged my laptop. I had the chance to buy another one here in Edinburgh (at Boots, dontcha know) today so I'm back in business.  anyhoo . . . where was I?
Oh yeah, Inverness. But, hold the phone! I have to show you a bit more of Loch Ness and the Highlands. So beautiful!


How cool is this?????  I really did snap this picture and I did nothing to adjust my camera or the view or anything but more on that later . .
This last shot is of the lake itself, and how beautiful. It reminds me of Moosehead in Maine, as you can pull a deep draft boat right up next to these steep slopes, and know there is at least that much of a mountain under the water. Awesome, right?

So, ok, while the trip on the Loch Ness is totally cool and they have sonar and JLT (junk like that), that picture of Nessie is actually some kid who drew her in magic marker on the window, so when you take a picture of the Loch, she is superimposed. Quite clever, I thought.
OK, here I am on the way to Inverness. I asked a man to take my picture in front of the "three sisters" mountains. I thought, yeah well I'm one of three sisters - cool pic.  OK, call me picky... but hello? Could we have seen a bit of the mountains - like the tops of at least one maybe? Here I am anyway in all my glory (and in my new red raincoat. Had to buy it last minute in Boston with my mum because I left mine at home - cute, right?)

Here is Inverness. Beautiful little city. Got in late, woke up at 5am, strolled past all of the lovely coffee houses: CLOSED! These people are late risers, let me tell you. Here is where I stayed and it was a bit modest but clean enough. I will tell you though, if you are planning to stay here, beware the shower curtain, because it will want to wetly devour you and you will spend the entire time fending it off. Anyway, here is the Hotel Columba and it was completely adequate for a night's sleep and a greasy breakfast. I liked that it was old(e) and on the river.

Here are a few more photos of Inverness - granted they're before 6am but it was kind of nice getting the flavor of the city before it filled up. (would have been nice if the coffee shops opened at a civilized time though...)

Have to admit, I found an iron gate to a churchyard open a wee bit and perused this very auld graveyard, so peaceful and just a touch spooky . .

 Beautiful little city and I trust I will spend more time there some day.



OMG, I almost forgot about the airy coos!  OK, here is one. Could not figure out what a airy coo was but of course, all became clear when I learned that that they were nae fer eatin' but fer shoe.  Yes, they are shoe coos.  (So, if you are still in the dark, they are highland cattle who are used not for meat, but for show. For which I'm glad because I'd hate to expend all of that brain power over something that was going to be slaughtered in the end!) Must admit, they are kinda cute in their own way.

So, sorry for the long and boring post and I am still behind by days. I am writing from Edinburgh tonight and will fill you in tomorrow but before I turn in tonight I would like to give a shout out to Ivan, who not only set me up with a gaited ter at the castle today, but also suggested a place for fain dainin tonight! Remind me to tell you about the flying butts tomorrow . . .

I am going to find a bus to wherever the ferry goes to Northern Ireland tomorrow. Not even thinking about how to do that until the a.m.  Just want to say in closing: it is 10:15pm right now and the birds are singing in the sunlight. However,

Tha an uair agad a dhol a chadal.

(Time for sleep)

Love, LizzieAlone

1 comment: