Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Giant's Causeway

So, the Giant's Causeway in County Antrim consists of about 50,000 interlocking basalt columns, the result of an ancient volcano. Really wild looking. I hiked down to look at the formations and took a bus back with this adorable guide. Look at him! Full of good stories about the giant, Finn McCool, who (according to legend), built the causeway as a bridge to Scotland so he could fight his arch enemy, Brennandonner for control of the area. 


This is the formation they call the organ:


And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the camel on his hunkers. So, my buddy George told me this. I said hunkers? He said, yes, you know hunkers. I said George, exactly what part of a camel are the hunkers? He said, you know like squatting down. Oh, says I, you mean like hunkering down? Well, aye he says like I'm the moron!!Can you see it? It's in front of the green cliffs, sort of the middle of the picture, you can see it's hump sticking up and it's head is to the left. A camel on it's hunkers and there you have it.


No comments:

Post a Comment