Thursday, June 17, 2010

So, Dublin. I stayed at the Burlington which is a huge hotel and felt so impersonal after staying in so many small establishments in little villages. But, I could walk or catch the bus to wherever I wanted to go so it worked out just fine. The first night, I went to the Brazen Head. It is the oldest pub in Ireland and dates from the, get this: 1100's!! Imagine!

The next picture is of a girl I met there. She was the sweetest thing but really, it just appealed to me to take a picture of her, well, brazen head.  hahaha




The real draw for me was the music and storytelling. I had dinner in an upstairs room and I can't remember what I ate because the entertainment was so good. I liked the traditional music with fiddle and guitar but best of all was the folklore and fairie stories told by Johnny (and I'm sorry but I can't remember his last name.) Here's his picture. He was absolutely great.
 One weird thing, I went looking for a restroom during the evening, wandered down a couple of flights of stairs and turned to my left into a room and found myself next to a coffin with people sitting in chairs around the room. A wake. YIKES!! I suddenly found I didn't have to go anymore and raced back upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment