Sunday, May 23, 2010

The bank foreclosed on my neighbor, Little River Lobster. It's letting the guys fish out of here but with no one to provide bait or fuel or buy their lobsters, they are for the most part fishing out of Boothbay Harbor now. I have never minded hearing the boats go out at 4:00a.m., in fact I can name many of them by the sound of their engine. Now, I rarely hear even one. There are four lobster boats left here in the Little River. So sad what is happening to Maine's working waterfront. I read somewhere that out of roughly 7,000 miles of Maine coastline, there are only 25 miles of working waterfront left. So many families have sold out to wealthy people "from away" and moved inland. Then, up go the mcmansions and the "no trespassing" signs. It is very sad. My wish is that when it goes up for auction, whoever buys it will let it remain working waterfront.  Here's what happened over the winter:






Here is what the Little River looks like this morning. Very quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment