Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A whole new year, a whole new decade: what could be better?

Well, I certainly have a new lease on life. Look what I received in the mail yesterday from my nieces and nephews. It was hard to photograph but it is a beautiful sterling silver necklace, says Zia on the front (that's me) and has the names of all of my great-nieces and great-nephews (Lucia, Micah, Marin, Willa, Genevieve, and Seth) on the inside. It means the world to me.




So, yesterday I went to downtown Podunk and joined the gym. I have really missed working out and this is my kind of gym. Stinky and loud with lots of free weights and a bunch of muscleheads working out.  Yay!

I also got myself a library card at the county library, which is surprisingly nice and well stocked. I took out the new book by Adriana Trigiani and a murder mystery by one of my faves, John Sandford.

I visited the county building, looking for volunteer opportunities (the library didn't want me) and they looked at me like I had two heads. Spotted a sign for the local humane society and I start there on Thursday. I am also hoping to volunteer at the nearby State park because I can ride my bike there but it has been so freaking cold, I haven't been able to make myself actually go outside and get on my bike. So, maybe next week. This morning, with the wind chill it was 16 degrees and the girls will not be denied. It wasn't this cold in Maine when I left last month and hello? I did not sign on for this! At least the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day - again.

Today, I am making the trek to the health food store, about 25 miles away. Hey, I'm lucky there's a Piggly Wiggly here! (There is also a fabulous Mexican restaurant so really, what more do you need?)

Oh! This is hysterical:  Apparently this is all the local tourist bureau could come up with as  a slogan for the area:  "If it seems like you're in the middle of nowhere, it's because you are!"  I swear, I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!

Happy New Year everybody! The possibilities are endless, aren't they?

5 comments:

  1. Not everyone . . . but everyone who counts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With 2 good books and a volunteer job it is ok to be in the middle of nowhere. Now it is time to look up a good church. Grandma Great to two of your 'greats'.It is cold here in Alabama too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a happy and healthy 2010!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted a comment yesterday, but it didn't show up. I's so glad you got it and you like it!
    love,
    brynne

    ReplyDelete