Thursday, January 7, 2010

So, I got the name of somebody in my condo complex who is a potential dog sitter, comes highly recommended, and I sent her an email this morning asking if she might be interested in taking care of the girls if I have to go out of town. More on that later.

It actually got up to 57 degrees today so I took advantage of it and hopped on my bike for a long ride in the State Park. The park is nearby and after paying my $2.00 at the ranger station, I cruised thru it, all 9.5 miles of it, and back. I never saw another human, just a lot of birds and a deer who stood by the side of the trail and gave me the hairy eyeball. There are signs all over the place warning about alligators and I thought oh great, we finally get a warm day and they'll be out and about sunning but I never saw even one.

I rode home and took the girls to the beach for a good run and a swim. Well, the cutest little boxer came running up to us and did the "I'm definitely not an alpha dog, I am belly crawling and wagging my little stub of a tail please like me" thing. Lucy took to her and they did a little dance and I managed to distract Sophie. Until her owner walked up. Then, Sophie decided to come unglued and attack said cute little boxer (whose name, I kid you not, is actually Jelly Bean!) She sounded like a flippin' bear and looked something like this:
 
as she leapt upon poor little Jelly, threw her down, and pinned her to the ground, all the while snarling and foaming. I kept beating on Sophie's back with the ball chucker and finally managed to grab her by the scruff and put her down on the sand. Lordy.

Thank goodness, the owner was very understanding about it and luckily, no blood was spilled (although I expected to see gaping head wounds after all that drama.) I put the girls on their leashes and the three of us, heads down in shame, walked home.

So have you guessed the ending?  Yup. I got a call tonight from the dog sitter I mentioned earlier. She said, I believe I met you and your er um dogs on the beach today.

Oy Vey

2 comments:

  1. NO WAY! That is both very sad and a little funny at the same time. I don't know why you are looking for one just send them down here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! (I mean that this turned out to be the petsitter). Reminds me of Alice and Munchen's brawl - what it is about yellow labs?

    ReplyDelete