Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Busy Saturday

So, I wanted to tell you about my Saturday. First of all, I showed up for my shift at the Botanical Gardens and my usual golf cart had a sign on it, Out of Order. So, I went in to the front desk and they told me to take the next one in line - there are five. Well, I did notice that the little gauge that tells you how much juice you have in the battery didn't work. Oh well. At one point, I picked up five sisters in the parking lot and drove them to the Visitor's Center. They were having a sort of reunion and were a lot of fun. I regularly picked up a man who couldn't walk well and I dropped him and his friends down at the shoreline at one point.


So, with 40 minutes left in my shift, I noticed the cart was getting a bit sluggish. hmmmmm I picked up the sisters again and told them I'd take them down to the shoreline where I figured I'd pick up the man at the same time and decided that would be my last run of the day as the cart was really slow, especially now that I had the five sisters aboard. Well, I'm sure you've guessed it by now. Yup, I ran out of juice. So embarrassing. I was out by the parking lots. Well these five, and I'm telling you there was not one under the age of 65, popped out and we all started pushing. Got to the top of a hill, jumped back on and rode as far as we could, then out again and pushing, until we finally coasted down to where the carts are plugged in. They were a lot of fun and I couldn't have hoped for anyone better to have aboard. Saved me from leaving the cart out on the road and walking back. Awkward. One of the sisters took a picture of all of us pushing the cart and I gave her my email address, but nothing yet. So, I borrowed the cart for the next shift, took the sisters down to the shoreline, picked up the man and delivered him to the Visitor's Center and...
...went like a bat outta hell from the Gardens to the wedding of Nicki and Dennis. It was so great! Here they are:
(btw, this is not a flattering picture of Nicki, just so you know. The dress was quite fitted and she had a diaphanous shawl on over it.)
We all gathered in their backyard in crisp sunshine. The bridesmaids, dressed in red and gorgeous, walked from the house up to the arbor to the bass beat of "Another one Bites the Dust!" Hysterical but just subtle enough that not everybody caught it. Then Nicky came out and she looked just beautiful. The music for her processional? Tom Petty's "American Girl." She started it out with oh yeah, all right, take it easy, baby . . . By the time she reached the arbor, everybody was vocalizing at the top of their lungs: She was an American Girl! It was hilarious. 
Her mom made the food and it was perfect for the autumn day: Mac and cheese, lasagne, spanikopita, prime rib, mashed potatoes. Comfort food. I left before the desserts but I heard they were fabulous. Also, kudos to the band. They were awesome. 

So, that was my busy Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment